Tuesday, January 15, 2008

To Eat Or Not To Eat...That Is The Question

I have just come from the grocery store where I spent over $128! In that total was a package of hot dogs, bacon and lunch meat. There was no milk either. If you don't believe it's time for a change in politics, you better think again.

Going hand in hand with that statement, I was reading the newspaper this weekend and a savvy gentleman pointed out that the American public will be looking at $3.75 a gallon for gas by this summer because we have not taken seriously the need to start watching our consumption. When you see gas prices going up and down, the oil companies are "feeling" us up to see just how far they can rake us over the coals and still keep us out there burning it up. So I started setting my own limits on how much gas I would buy per week to get to work and take care of necessities. I plan my trips to make my driving as efficient as possible and eliminate running to the store two or three times a week to pick up a couple of items. Most of my family lives 20 miles out of town, so I will probably start making trips less often. I'm wondering if I can convince them to all to meet once a month in one location, so we can get all our visiting in at one time... ya think? ; )

In a discussion with a co-worker today, he said something that made real sense to me. Where most countries like England and Japan utilize mass transportation our country bought into the use of automobiles which are based on a limited commodity that we will never be able to produce ourselves. We will NEVER be able to produce enough alternative fuel to meet our needs! Now how near-sighted was that? Still wonder why we got into Iraq? We are inefficient and spoiled....

On the lighter side, I got an email today that had me laughing, but you have to give the Japanese and A for effort when it comes to reaching for new ideas.... check these out.




No comments: